Beery's Brackets: The Projected Bracket for March Madness | March 14, 2021
Well, folks. We’ve made it.
A year after the 2020 NCAA Tournament was stripped away from us, it’s finally Selection Sunday. It may be the strangest one we’ve ever had, but we should all be grateful it’s here.
The next few days may see chaos come to the bracket, but nonetheless, we’re getting one today. Teams have already begun descending on Indianapolis to begin COVID protocols, and here’s to hoping this whole thing goes off without a hitch.
I’ve spent months looking at resumes and ranking teams. Here’s the final product.
West Region - Saturday/Monday
1. Gonzaga (WCC) vs. 16. Norfolk State (MEAC) / Texas Southern (SWAC)
8. Florida vs. 9. North Carolina
4. Virginia vs. 13. North Texas (C-USA)
5. Tennessee vs. 12. Georgetown (Big East)
3. Texas (Big 12) vs. 14. Cleveland State (Horizon)
6. LSU vs. 11. Louisville / Drake
7. Oklahoma vs. 10. St. Bonaventure (A-10)
2. Ohio State vs. 15. Eastern Washington (Big Sky)
East Region - Saturday/Monday
1. Michigan vs. 16. Mt. St. Mary’s (NEC) / Appalachian State (Sun Belt)
8. San Diego State (MWC) vs. 9. Loyola-Chicago (MVC)
4. West Virginia vs. 13. Ohio (MAC)
5. Creighton vs. 12. Oregon State (Pac-12)
3. Kansas vs. 14. Colgate (Patriot)
6. Colorado vs. 11. Utah State / Syracuse
7. BYU vs. 10. Rutgers
2. Alabama (SEC) vs. 15. Oral Roberts (Summit)
South Region - Friday/Sunday
1. Baylor vs. 16. Hartford (Am. East)
8. Georgia Tech (ACC) vs. 9. UConn
4. Purdue vs. 13. UNC Greensboro (SOCON)
5. Villanova vs. 12. Winthrop (Big South)
3. Arkansas vs. 14. Morehead State (OVC)
6. Texas Tech vs. 11. Michigan State
7. Clemson vs. 10. VCU
2. Iowa vs. 15. Drexel (CAA)
Midwest Region - Friday/Sunday
1. Illinois (Big Ten) vs. 16. Iona (MAAC)
8. Oregon vs. 9. Virginia Tech
4. Florida State vs. 13. Liberty (A-Sun)
5. USC vs. 12. UCSB (Big West)
3. Oklahoma State vs. 14. Abilene Christian (Southland)
6. Wisconsin vs. 11. UCLA
7. Missouri vs. 10. Maryland
2. Houston (AAC) vs. 15. Grand Canyon (WAC)
Last 4 Byes: Maryland, Rutgers, UCLA, Michigan State
Last 4 In (First Four on Thursday): Utah State, Syracuse, Drake, Louisville
First 4 Out: Wichita State, Saint Louis, Ole Miss, Memphis
Next 4 Out: Duke, Colorado State, Boise State, Western Kentucky
The weekend saw all sorts of action, including a couple of bid stealers on Saturday in Georgetown (Big East) and Oregon State (Pac-12). One more bid thief was alive entering Sunday’s game, as Cincinnati takes on Houston in the American title game.
Should the Bearcats win, they’d slide into a 13-seed, pushing Syracuse out of the field and Michigan State or UCLA into the First Four.
A lot is still up in the air, but one thing is for sure. This. Is. March. Enjoy it.